Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Spiral Mission: Protector of the Lore [Chapter 18]

On With the Hunt

They heard footsteps coming through the rubble that was left of the arena after the intense battle that took place moments before. The wizards were tied up; all facing a different direction, and some were getting back from being unconscious. The hooded figure, wearing all black, approached the team and placed a hand on the rubble of one of the pillars that fell and started rubbing it and inspecting the damage. Dust looked up after getting tired of struggling and went wide-eyed.

“I sent you on a simple mission and this is what I get…” The hooded figure spoke.

“We’re sorry, they surprised us,” Dust said with his head hanging in shame.

“I see..”

“We didn’t know they brought reinforcements, and-” Kathyui defended herself.

“All I asked was to capture the Golden Phoenix’s daughter. Was that too much to ask for?” The figure said in a stern voice.

“Why do you only want the Fire Hatake? You knew the Knights had the Ice one too,” Kane questioned.

“Well, you do know that Angel’s grandson will be granted the Hatake powers very soon. I was hoping that the Knights would be stupid enough to send the soon to be Life Hatake,”

“Life Hatake? You mean they found it?” Dust asked.

“Oh yes, they did. However, he doesn’t have the magical power to be any threat to us.”

“So, why don’t you go for the Blue Phoenix?” Kathyui asked.

“You ask too many questions,” The hooded figures hand started glowing and magical energy started surrounding his hand and forming a blade. “But, if you must know I already had things taken care of. I have someone on the inside and he’s doing an excellent job.”

“Well, that’s a relief.  You can let us free now,” Kathyui giggled.

“I’m sorry I can’t do that,” The hooded figure said.

“What? Why not? Look, I know you’re the Death Hatake but come on,” Dust pleaded.

“You are no use to us anymore,” the figure stated, “you also know too much, so, you have to be discontinued until you are.”

“Us!? Discontinued!? Wait, wait, we can talk about this,” Kathyui begged.

“I’m afraid not,” The hooded figure raised his hand a bright light was unleashed.
_________________________________________________________________

They heard a large explosion behind them, and they look back towards the Arena that was engulfed in a powerful blast.

“What was that?” Fallon asked.

“I don’t know but we need to report back to the rest of the Council and RettSej. They’ll want to know about what happened,” Kevin said as they rode on their own mounts back to the Spiral door.
_________________________________________________________________

He heard laughter at the end of the dark tunnel.

“Hello? Is there anyone here?” He asked only to hear a mumbling of a smooth voice. “Hello?” He started running and the mumbling continued. He ran faster to get out of the darkness; it was never ending, so he ran faster. He slipped and fell into warm, caring arms.

“Oh, hey there sweetie, ready to go?” He looked up to see his smiling mother as happy as can be.

“Mommy, where we going?” He asked.

“We’re moving to Central city, Jeremy. Doesn’t that sound like fun?”

“What about Matt and Angel?” He looked to the side to see Angel walking towards them.

“They’ll be staying here, but we can come visit any time,” she said while smiling.

“Um, excuse me Vita, can I have a word with you?” Angel asked her.

“Sure,” she said plainly, “Jeremy, go play with Matt. I think he’s by the Piggle nest.” Jeremy nodded and walked over to where the Piggle nest was as his mom and Angel entered the Fjord. He found Matt feeding the baby Piggles.

“Hey Matt!” He waved and Matt grinned and waved crazily, “Watcha doing?”

“Me feeding the pigglys, they like this yellow stuff, but it tastes gross,” He picked up a piece of their food and showed it to Jeremy.

“Ewww, it smells gross too,” Jeremy said then laughed.

“Where your mommy?” Matt asked.

“She talking to Angel inside. Maybe he change her mind ‘bout leaving,”

“I hope so! I don’ wanna lose my best friend!” Matt yelled. “Hey, I have a idea. Why not we go listen about what they talking about?”

“Oh, ok, sure. Let’s go!” The kids walked into the Fjord and started going through the halls like they were Ninja Pigs from the show Waruto. Then he heard Angel’s voice in a room and opened the door just a crack. They could see Angel and Vita sitting across from each other in the library and they listened to their conversation.

“Look, I already told you Angel, I don’t want to hear any of this,” Vita protested.

“I know, but this isn’t about you. It’s about your son,” Angel insisted.

“I know that, but I don’t believe any of it.”

“Look, the Council never lies. They say he’s the next Lif-”

“No, no, and no. My son will not be one of you. I refuse to let that happen.”

“It’s not your choice. It’s not any of ours. It’s just the way it is.”

“No, my son will not be what they say he will. He will not be a puppet to be manipulated for a show of strength.”

“Vita, that’s not really what it is to be a Hat-”

“Oh it isn’t?” She said sarcastically. “I know what happens when someone becomes one of you. They get treated like they’re special and all, but they’re just being used as weapons for their sick, sadistic leaders.”

“Vita…” Angel said.

“Am I wrong? …I’m sorry Angel, but my son will not be a part of this.” She stood up, and made as if she was about to leave but Angel grabbed her wrist to stop her.

“You can’t hide this from him. He’ll have to know eventually.”

“If I do things right he won’t have to know.”

“It’s his destiny. Even if he doesn’t know, they’ll be looking for him. They won’t stop until they find him. At least with us he can be safe and I assure you he will never be used.” She thought about it for a moment but then shook her head and released her hand from Angel’s grip.

“I’m sorry, but this would not be what his father would want.”

“Fine, but I’ll be watching over him just in case.”

“Ok, and Angel,” Vita said.

“Yeah?”

“If anything happens to me, promise me that you won’t tell him. Only if it’s absolutely necessary that you need to tell him. Other than that, please don’t say anything. Promise me that.” He nodded and she took to leave. Jeremy and Matt ran as fast as they could and made it into the living room pretending to be chasing each other. Vita appeared from the hallway and approached and kneeled on one knee.

Come on Jeremy, it’s time to go!” He opened his eyes to see Matt almost dumping a bucket of ice cold water on him. “Finally, you’re awake!”

“Huh? Matt what are you doing?” Jeremy asked.

“Trying to get you out of your bed. I’ve been trying for the past five minutes!” Matt answered. “We need to go to Zafaria today, remember? By the way, happy birthday.”

“Thanks, you too Matt… We’re going to Zafaria? I forgot!”

“No duh, get dressed. Professor Ravensinger is waiting for you so we can start heading out.” Matt walked out of the room leaving a confused Jeremy behind. 
‘What was that dream? Did it actually happen?’ He got up from the bed and opened his drawers and pulled out some comfortable clothes as they’ll be searching and exploring. You’re going to be late, Jeremy.

“Oh, so now you talk Piggly?” He didn’t get any response back, he just put on his clothes and stepped out of the door only to be grabbed by Matt and put in a head lock.

“Finally, why are you so slow?” Matt joked.

“I thought I was pretty fast,” Jeremy got out of the head lock and started running towards the entrance. “Meet ya there, Icicle!”

“You’re gonna get it, Jeremy!” Matt ran after him. They ran to the entrance where they spotted Professor Ravensinger reviewing some research notes. They stopped in front of him and he looked between both of them.

“Are we ready to go?” Ravensinger asked.

“Yup, we’re ready.” Matt confirmed.

“Ok, we’re going to stop in Marleybone to pick up something,” Alric informed them.

“Pick up what?” Jeremy wondered.

“We’re going to the laboratory of the creator of The Kingsisle Communication Systems,” Alric said.

“…And who would that be?” Jeremy asked.

“Doctor Austin Kingsisle,” Alric answered. “Ok, so let’s go.” They went to the outside of the Twi-star observatory and reached the Spiral door to enter the Marleybone. Jeremy and Matt were going to head to Regent Square but Alric went in a different direction.

“Where are you going, professor?” Matt asked.

“Dr. Austin’s lab is this way. Hidden near the Spiral door,” Alric walked to an altar lined with a bunch of candles. He grabbed the only one that wasn’t lit and pulled it like a lever. There was a knocking and chiming like a door bell and then at the corner appeared a short man with crazy white hair sticking up from the sides. He had a lab coat on and a big mustache, and glasses.

“Heyo, Alric my boy, how do you do?” the old man asked.

“Good, and you Dr. Austin?”

“Been up in my lab, making all these crazy thingys that’ll help everybody!” Dr. Austin answered. “Oh, and who are these young boys, over in the hither?”

“This is Jeremy Wildred and Matthew Winterbreeze,” Alric pointed to the boys.

“Wildred, and Winterbreeze ya say? How interesting…” Dr. Austin walked near the boys and started inspecting them from head to toe and got into Jeremy’s face and looked directly into his eyes. “AHA!” Dr. Austin yelled which made Jeremy jump back a little. “I thought ya looked familiar! You have your mother’s face!”

“My mother? You knew my mom?” Jeremy asked.

“Now, now, that’s for a later time. Watcha want Alric?” Dr. Austin asked.

“Well, I wondering if I could have that thing you were talking about last time,” Alric said.

“Sure, sure, anything for ya,” Dr. Austin waved his hand and a box appeared in Alric’s hand. “If that’s all, Imma get back to my lab. See y’all later!” With that he poofed with a puff of smoke.

“What the heck?” Matt asked.

“Don’t ask,” Alric answered. “Anyways, time to get to Zafaria.” The boys nodded and headed into the Spiral door.
 Matt reached into his pocket to touch the note that was given to him. ‘I’m sorry Jeremy. I hope you’ll forgive me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment